In the past few weeks I’ve been noticing myself incorporating this little practice into my day that I call, “What do I want in this moment?”
When I ask myself this question I pause what I’m doing and take a few conscious breaths. I usually come up with a relatively simple answer that improves my day and my outlook. Give the exercise below a try and see how it impacts your day.
1) Push pause on your day for just a minute. Empty your hands. Sit down or lie down as is situation appropriate.
2) Take ten breaths. Inhale and exhale, paying attention to the sensations in your body. You’ll probably get distracted before you get to ten. That’s okay. Try again.
3) Notice how you are feeling physically and emotionally.
4) What is one thing that you could do for your physical well-being? Are you hungry? Thirsty? Cold? Warm? Restless? Tired? Are you craving stillness or movement? Respond appropriately as best you can in the context of your day.
5) Jot down how you are feeling emotionally today.
6) How would you like to feel?
7) What could you think that would move you to these feelings? What actions could you take?
Nicely done. Hope you have a great day!