Often clients come to me without a clear understanding of what it is that they actually like and are interested in. Do you ever feel that way?
Here’s a quick trick to hone in on the topics that you really enjoy.
1) Go to wordpress.com* and sign up for a free blog. The process takes just a few minutes.
2) Choose if you want to make your site private or public. Either is fine.
3) Once a day, or once a week, post about something that caught your attention. Maybe it was a book or an article or an experience that you found to be really cool. Perhaps it was a picture or a quote or a dish that you enjoyed. You may write a little commentary about what you post or not. (If you find yourself with nothing to write about spend time exploring things you don’t normally experience to see if one of them piques your interest.)
4) Continue to post for awhile.
5) Look through your posts after you’ve been at it for a few weeks and see if you notice any themes. Are your posts mostly about music, new technology, or fitness?
6) If you were to pick just one to three topics to write about for the next year what would you pick? What would be interesting enough to hold your attention for that period of time?
7) Try posting to your blog exclusively on the themes you identified. You could post a response to a relevant article. Or you could offer your own opinion of what is a top notch piece of work that you’ve come across in your field of interest.
8) Notice if you enjoy writing and engaging with these topics. Allow yourself to change course if another topic captures your attention.
9) Reach out to groups or individuals who share your interest. Build connections with people you like.
10) Enjoy your hobby and community. Or, if enough interest and desire is there, utilize your connections and increased knowledge of the industry to begin building a career in the field.
*I wrote about wordpress because I’ve used it before. You could also use blogger, pinterest, or a paper based version, like a journal.